Mike W. Smith
Office: 201-847-9175 x 105
Mike is the founder and President of Axis Insurance Services, LLC and PL Risk Advisors, Inc. both nationally recognized Professional and Management Liability insurance brokerages.
Mike has become a valuable market resource and has been frequently requested to be a speaker, panelist and writer on professional and management liability risk and insurance. Having over 25 years of experience in the industry, he brings a wealth of knowledge and a unique ability to create innovative coverage solutions.
In 1999, Mike founded Axis Insurance Services, LLC to provide customized Professional Liability solutions for business and in 2012, and he formed PL Risk Advisors, Inc. to create a presence in the wholesale E&O market. Today, both companies are enjoying success across the areas of errors and omissions liability, directors and officers liability, commercial crime, EPLI, privacy and network security.
Formerly a CPA audit manager at Coopers & Lybrand (now PWC), Mike managed audit and consulting services for insurance and healthcare clients, including some of the nation’s most well-known Fortune 500 companies. He specialized in mergers and acquisitions and insurance company liquidations. Dealing with hundreds of insurance companies, agencies, reinsurers and alternative risk companies provided him with valuable insight into the needs of his clients.
At Medical Inter-Insurance Exchange (MIIX), a medical malpractice carrier, Mike was responsible for assisting the company in mergers and acquisitions and development of numerous insurance programs. Later, as the Chief Financial and Operations Officer of a related company, he built a physician-owned insurance carrier from the ground up, including all hiring, systems development, licensing and marketing.
Mike lives in Wayne, NJ with his wife and son. Mike volunteers with many civic and charity organizations including CUMAC Echo, Autism Speaks and many others. He also enjoys scuba diving, fishing and attending sporting events.
- Certified Public Accountant, 1986
- Professional Insurance Agents Association Member (PIA)
- Risk and Insurance Management Association Member (RIMS)
- Completed The Oz Principle Corporate Training
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Member
- Founding member of FSU Seminole Club of the Delaware Valley
- B.S. in Accounting, Florida State University, 1984
Recent Speaking Engagements
- BDI Insurance Social Business Forum
- PLUS Guest Panelist – E&O and the Real Estate Bubble
- IBANY/Plus Guest Panelist – Diversifying Revenue Streams in a Soft Market
- NAI Global Asset Services – E&O for Commercial Real Estate Firms